Friday, November 30, 2007

Keito Dama Winter 2007 Magazine (#136)

I picked up a copy of the Keito Dama 2007 Winter #136 knitting magazine at Kinokuniya in Seattle today along with some other instructional knitting books that I'll write about in a later post. Three of them are about reading Japanese knitting symbols and the last one is a Japanese knitting pattern book.

I think the Keito Dama is a magazine rather then a book. From what I've read on the internet it comes out 4 times a year. It has ads and articles (which of course I can't read because they are in Japanese!) like a magazine, so that's what I'm calling it: a Japanese knitting magazine.

I paid $16.80 for my copy. YesAsia.com has it for $15.75 which isn't to bad because you get free shipping with orders over $25. But I do like flipping through the magazines at the bookstore so I can decide if I want to purchase them or not.

There are over 64 different knitting and crochet patterns. Jenny has pictures of several of the patterns in her post about this issue.

Here's a couple of pictures from the Knit Index on the back cover. Click for a bigger image.


2 comments:

Darcy said...

Is it difficult to decipher these patterns into English? On Ravelry I am finding a HUGE amount of the most beautiful projects from Keito Dama. But I am a newer knitter (long-time crocheter), and not sure if I could translate them. What was your experience like?

Rhonda said...

Japanese patterns have great charts and with the help of folks on Ravelry, it usually isn't too diffcult to knit the patterns.